Half empty of half full, which are you?

It's not a secret one of the most documented characteristics of a successful weight loss is having a great support network.  I am fortunate to have a family that supports me in this, but often find myself being able to tell my deepest thoughts to cyberspace easier than my own family, guess its kinda like therapy.  One of my favorite pastimes is reading success stories of individuals that have conquered their food demons and lost weight; it is also somewhat of a double edge sword. I was reminded that recently when I read a blog post by someone who had lost a significant amount of weight, and almost appreared pompous and kinda fired me up a little.  He had read an article on MSNBC (located here) about how a woman had lost 170 pounds and nothing had really changed about her life other than the size of her a$#, and had been sold a bill of goods about how her life would change when she lost the weight. The bloggers contention was that she was accurate and quote:

"I have the same job. My wife is the same. We live in the same house. When I was featured in CNN and AOL, I was popular for a day, and then it died down.I have not made any money blogging, although I have gotten some sweet coupons.

I do not think I will be world famous for my weight loss. I once thought I would be. We all think that way."

Maybe it's just me and that "fantasy" of becoming an after but I for one refuse to accept the status quo or that life will be the same for me once I lose the weight and get healthier; or maybe I'm just a dreamer, but at least according to John and some Beattles "I'm not the only one"  According to Keith Ayoob a professor at Yeshiva University it is described as the "lottery effect" which is "People think that 'if only' they won the lottery, life would be perfect. People who want to lose weight think the same thing." I may be a fool but at this point I have lost everything except for the weight, and it's time for it to go as well!

I'll leave you with this bit of encouragement "Between tomorrow's dream and yesterday's regret is today's opportunity" author unknown. So what are you going to do today? I for one am going to weigh in, work on making better food choices and work out.

Comments

Unknown said…
don't pay attention to that other blogger. in the msnbc article, the woman said her back doesnt hurt anymore, her knees don't hurt anymore, etc. The guy might have the same wife (good!) and the same house (so what?) -- why would he think he could get a different house because he lost weight? Sounds to me like he is living in la-la land. If extending the length of his life, and the quality of his life isn't good enough for him -- well, that's his problem. Not yours. Keep your glass half full, girl!
-jordan @ www.futurefitgirl.com

Popular posts from this blog

My goals for 2007.

Reasons motivating me to lose weight ....